Madeira is a beautiful island for nature lovers. You can easily get anywhere and return at one day driving. Enjoy the steep mountains, the eucalyptus woods and the flowers.
Walking in Madeira
In Madeira you can walk along the “Levadas”: ancient irrigation channels. Put on your hiking shoes!
In total there are 300 km of trails, ranging from 4 to 20 km through beautiful eucalyptus forests, passing waterfalls and lookout points and spectacular gorges. They are marked as PR (Pequna Rota) with a number. The Levada’s know almost no height decay, which makes walking very pleasant. Maps of the Levada routes are available and taxi drivers can bring you to the beginning of a route. Madeira is truly a paradise for nature lovers, it is quiet, far away from mass tourism. The climate is perfect, plenty of sunshine and never too hot or too cold .
Travel to Madeira
Transavia flies several times a week to Funchal, the capital, in the south of Madeira.
A return from the Netherlands costs on average € 250,- / € 300,- per person.
Car hire is available at several companies at the airport. For a small middle class car one can count on an average price of € 300,- per week.
Tip: do not take the smallest car, it must carry a good engine, because some roads are very steep .
These are the main providers of car rental :
A package deal may be interesting: flying and hotel in one package.
Travel agents offer you deals. Here’s a list:
But don’t forget your local travel bureau, they might have the best offer!
Well known levada-routes
- PR4: Levada do Barreiro, Poço da Neve – Casa do Barreiro (district Funchal)
- PR6: Levada das 25 fontes, Rabaçal – 25 Fontes, 4,6 km (district Calheta)
- PR6.1: Levada do Risco, Rabaçal – Risco (district Calheta)
- PR7: Levada do Moinho, Ribeira da Cruz – Lamaceiros, 10,3 km (district Porto Moniz)
- PR9: Levada do Caldeirão Verde, Queimadas – Caldeirão Verde – Caldeirão do Inferno, 6,5 km (district Santana)
- PR10: Levada do Furado, Ribeiro Frio – Portela, 11 km (district Santana)
- PR14: Levada dos Cedros, Fanal – Curral Falso, 5,8 km (district Porto Moniz)
- PR16: Levada Fajã do Rodrigues, Fajã da Amã – Ribeira da Janela, 3,9 km (district São Vicente)
- PR18: Levada do Rei, Quebradas – Ribeiro Bonito, 5,1 km (district Santana)
- PR23: Levada da Azenha, Azenha – Caminho Velho do Castelo (district Santa Cruz
A beatuful and clear app for your smartphone, to find your own levades
Madeira – walk me
New Year’s Eve : the biggest fireworks in the world !
If you are lucky to be in Madeira at New Year’s Eve a big surprise is waiting for you: a spectacular firework display In the Bay of Funchal. Be sure to arrive at least one hour before in order to get a good spot. Hotels are organizing buses to go there. Then the inferno gets loose: 15 minutes splendid fireworks, ending in a three-minute total blast. You can also experience it from a boat in the bay, you’re right in the middle of it.
Funchal owns the Guinness World Record Prize for the biggest firework in the world.